CDS Construction Working Drawings and Project Manual
This book deals with interpreting information conveyed from the architect/engineer to the contractor by way of a legal document and with implementing that fundamental understanding. It discusses the many components of the legal agreement that binds the parties in a construction project: working drawings, specifications, and contract requirements of the Project Manual. A comprehensive understanding of the project's construction documents is necessary to prepare an estimate for submitting a bid and to prepare a project schedule for controlling costs after the contract is awarded.
Lesson 1 Working Drawings: Civil
· Identify factors in site selection and planning.
· Understand how to read a topographic survey plan.
· Identify symbols used to classify various soil types.
· Understand how to read a site plan.
· Distinguish between an earth change plan and an erosion and sedimentation control plan.
Lesson 2 Working Drawings: Architectural
· The various types of drawings that comprise the working drawings of a project.
· The sheet sequence for a set of working drawings.
· Plan, section and elevation symbols.
· Common abbreviations and dimensioning practices.
Lesson 3 Working Drawings: Structural
· Identify the types of structural drawings used for cast-in-place concrete, precast/prestressed concrete, and structural steel.
· Understand how precast panels are erected.
· Become familiar with the various types of welding symbols.
· Understand how structural steel members are dimensioned.
Lesson 4 Working Drawings: Mechanical
· Describe the types of mechanical systems found in buildings: HVAC, plumbing and fire protection.
· Identify drawing symbols common to mechanical drawings.
· Understand the purpose of riser diagrams.
Lesson 5 Working Drawings: Electrical
· Identify common types of electrical equipment, lighting fixtures and wiring systems.
· Identify types of overcurrent protection.
· Identify drawing symbols common to electrical drawings.
· Understand the purpose of single line diagrams.
Lesson 6 Project Manual
· Understand what comprises the project manual.
· Understand which documents become part of the contract and which do not.
· Identify information contained in the Invitation to Bid versus the Instructions to Bidders.
· Identify components of a bid form.
· Define the various types of bonds.
·Distinguish between general and supplementary conditions.
Lesson 7 Specifications
· Understand the organization and numbering system of the 2004 CSI Masterformat.
· Distinguish between the various types of specifications.
· Understand the three parts that comprise a specification section.